Monday, September 23, 2013

Rivalries.....Where did you go?




 Magic vs. Bird , Lakers vs Cetlics, MJ vs Pistons....The list could go on and on of great rivalries in sports.
But in the last ten years name one great rivalry?  You can't!  Players in all sports and at all levels are far to familiar with each other and would rather be friends.  I miss the "Jordan Rules" the Detroit Pistons had in the 80's-90's.  I even miss the small rivalry the Utah Jazz had for a couple of years with the Chicago Bulls.  What is it that makes rivalry?  Why do we enjoy them so much?  And why aren't there any good rivalries these days?



  In my opinion, a rivalry begins when one team or person gets the better of their opponent for an extended period of time.  For example, Yankees vs Red Sox.  For years the Yanks seem to put the Sox out of their misery year after year.  I believe this rivalry was taken to a new level the year the Sox upset the Yanks and went on to win the Series.  The same can be said about the Indian Pacers and the New York Knicks.  The Knicks were constantly beating on their little brother, till one day Reggie Miller decided he had enough and scored 8 points in 18 seconds.  That was always a fantastic series to watch.



  I enjoy games or series like this so much more that your run of the mill Pacers vs Hawks etc.....There is that element of getting over that hurdle,especially when you are the team getting kicked all to often.  In the same respect its kind of nice to be on the other end of the beating and be able to see your team dominate a rival.  For myself, I can always go back to Utah Jazz vs San Antonio Spurs.  It doesn't matter team records, standings or what not, as a Jazz fan I am always more excited and nervous when we play the Spurs.  Those games are always dog fights and rarely does the opponent blow the other team out.  These games have me on edge for the entire game, and unfortunately if the Jazz lose you can count on me being in a bad mood!  Its just down right depressing.



  Now this weekend we come to one of the State of Utah's biggest rivalries of all time, Utah vs. BYU.  To be honest, as a Utah fan this game has lost some of its luster.  Maybe because Utah is now in the Pac-12 and BYU is Independent.  It could be because the game is in September as opposed to the end of the year like it use to be.  For myself as a fan I am not sure why this game is losing its shine but it is.  Will it be any less of a game?  No, these two teams simply put do not like each other.  They will scrape and claw all the way to the finish.  As a fan that is what I want.  I want the dog fight, I want the nasty.

  As a fan that is what I want.  I want the dog fight, I want the nasty.  I want MORE RIVALRIES!

No comments: