Thursday, January 23, 2014

MOTIVATION!....Derrick Favors snubbed by USA basketball



  Yesterday USA basketball announced their pool of players for this summers World Cup of Basketball and 2016 Summer Games.  The list has the usual suspects, but there was one name that was left off that I found very interesting, Derrick Favors.  The list looks like this...

Carmelo Anthony
Tyson Chandler
Stephen Curry
Anthony Davis
Kevin Durrant
James Harden
Dwight Howard
Andre Iguodala
Lebron James
Kevin Love
Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Russel Westbrook
Deron Williams
LaMarcus Aldridge
Bradley Beal
DeMarcus Cousins
Andre Drummond
Kenneth Faried
Paul George
Blake Griffin
Gordon Hayward
Kyrie Irving
Kyle Korver
David Lee
Kawhi Leonard
Damian Lillard
Klay Thompson

  Taking a look at this list of players leaves me scratching my head a bit.  I know certain players like Kyle Korver are chosen for a specific purpose or skill they bring to the table.  But I think I have more questions than answers when it comes to the Favors snub.  Just looking at it, I would be happy to replace Cousins, Drummond, Faried with Favors.  Comparing Favors and Faried, Favs is shooting 52% to Faried 54%.  Favs is almost 2 rebounds more a game and a full block more.  Bur Faried got the nod.  DeMarcus Cousin, simply put is a bad teammate is put on this team.  I think if you look at the stats, Cousin are inflated due to the number of possessions the guy uses.  Drummond has had a great season, but he sure laid an egg going up against Favs last week.  Not sure if playing against a terrible eastern conference is helping his stats as well.

  I could sit here and pick a part this list and the player that I think Mr. Favors could and should easily replace, but I would be wasting my time.  So I am going to look at this from a glass half full perspective.  If the Derrick Favors that we have seen this season, is the guy who we think he is, this will motivate him.  He will feel that he has something to prove every time he goes up against another player on this list.  I believe it will fuel him to work on his craft and to become a better player.  I believe that he will be out to prove to himself and USA Basketball that they made MISTAKE!

No comments: