Thursday, October 10, 2013

Greatest Sports Movies of All Time!





  "You're killing me Smalls"  Great quote, great movie, the Sand lot.  There are a number of great sports movies out there.  Sand lot is just one of many.  So I thought we could do a Top 10 here on Another Level Sports.

1.Hoosiers
  For me this has to be the best sports movie of all time.  As a basketball player there is nothing better than watching Gene Hackman take his team in to the field house and measure the length of the court, height of the hoop etc.  Then telling his team that its no different than their own gym back home.

2.Rudy
  The original story/movie of the little guy over coming great odds.  Great movie but every time I watch it now, I see Sean Astin as a Hobbit!  Still a great move about a guy with more heart than an entire team.

3.Talladega Nights: The Ballad for Ricky Bobby
  I have to confess, I am a huge Will Ferrell fan and this is one of his best movies ever!  I have seen this movie countless times and laugh every time I watch it.  John C Reilly as Cal Naughton Jr, Ricky Bobby's childhood friend and racing teammate.  The two of them make a wonderfully entertaining pair.  The story of Ricky Bobby's rise and fall and rise again in NASCAR.

4.Rocky
  "Adrian!!!" Not much has to be said about Rocky or the Rocky series.  Stallone at his best.

5.Field Of Dreams
  "If you build it, they will come..."  When I first saw this movie, the first thing I thought was, I want my dad to build a baseball field in our yard.  It was the coolest thing I had seen as a kid.  Kevin Costner and James Earl Jones are fantastic.  As baseball movies go, this is the cream of the crop.

6.Warrior
  UFC fans love this movie, but so should everyone else.  This movie has some grit to it and hits hard with a families struggles.  Tom Hardy, Nick Nolte, Joel Edgerton are fantastic.  This is one of Nolte best films.  Watch this movie if you haven't!

7.Invincible
  This is a very underrated sports movie.  Yeah is another story of a "little guy" and his hard work to make the NFL but I loved it.  Mark Wahlberg is great.  A very good football movie.

8.Remember The Titans
  The story of a African American coaching being hired as a head coach to a high school football team as segregation is being done away with.  Awesome show.  Denzel Washington is fantastic and the high emotion with racial tension is captivating.  Love the way the team over comes the many issues to succeed.

9.Moneyball
  This movie was very interesting.  I had never paid much attention to the intricacies of statistics.  I have always checked box scores and what not. But this movie brought a whole new dimension to statistics and sports management to me.

10.Dodgeball
  "If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball..."  Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn as mortal enemies.  Love it.  The is movie has a great cast and some of the best comedy commentating in and movie.  Gotta love the "Ocho"

  There are so many others out there.  And I think I have seen just about all of them.  We can also add to the list the new movie Rush by Ron Howard.  Looks great, I will wait for it on Blu-ray.  But if you have some time and want to kill it with some good sports movies, these would be my picks.  How about you?

No comments: